Pages

Friday 6 May 2011

Tasmanian Wool Co.

Lookee what I picked up in Hobart
At the Tasmanian Wool Co in Salamanca Place of all places


Supreme Possum Merino Yarn 4ply Silk!!!
A beautiful soft yarn

Bit of mixed feelings about this
I do love 'Our' Possums
Have had, over the years, quite a few as wild 'pets'
Well, they at times would hand-feed from us
Particularly one 'Mum' who we would see over many years
And I believe they are protected in a lot of areas of Australia because of their low numbers

But someone, somewhere, sometime, took Possums to New Zealand
Where they are now considered pests
Destroying their native wildlife and flora
Much like Cane Toads have become to QLD, and now unfortunately NSW, maybe even VIC

So they are 'harvested'
And rather than being a total waste
Their coats are put to use

As New Zealanders are almost like cousins, cause of their closeness and their love of living in Australia  :-)
I decided to buy some and try it out

Did I mention how soft this is
Very eager to try it out
Apparently gloves and socks are popular with possum fur

But this is special yarn with a mix of merino, possum and silk
So something special I think is necessary

Please pop on over to Kiwiyarns Knit if you would like to know more about it or just to read a wonderful blog about yarn and New Zealand in general



7 comments:

  1. Who would have thought to make yarn our of possum fur. Although it doesn't really surprise me. After all there are people who make yarn out of dog fur, so why not possum fur!
    I hope you will show us some pics of your finished piece :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! possum fur is quite a big deal for slippers and stuff in nz but i had never thought of yarn. great idea!! its a shame they are such pests, i kinda feel bad for them, my mate had a pet possum when she was young,lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe the possums in NZ are now bigger than those we have here and have become a dreadful problem there. I love the possum in our shed and put fruit in there for him in the hope that he'll leave my garden alone - doesn't work but I still like having him about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to buy yarn or fabric when I'm on a trip. I even bought (fantastic) Turkish yarn during my last citytrip to Istanbul!! Have a great weekend!
    Esther.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never knew there was something like possum yarn! Reading your post, I can imagine your mixed feelings about it. Can't wait to see what you're going to make with it. Have a great weekend.
    Dorien

    ReplyDelete
  6. It certainly is a very soft yarn and I can't wait to see what you come up with (perhaps the lacy mitts from last month's mystery KAL?)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Explanation, this exegesis is a clean culmination which often typically is aware of this activate's episode of a situation location. Think of your document in an didactic placing is actually known because "official book" is usually soporific by disciples, academy trees, flicker analysts to do the tasks. merino wool NZ

    ReplyDelete